Women’s lacrosse loses a close contest against Binghamton

Chelsea Thatcher
UVM women’s lacrosse loses 10-9 against Binghamton March 30.

On a day where both lacrosse squads played at Virtue Field, the afternoon began with the women’s team playing against the Binghamton Bearcats.

The match’s first goal came late in the first period off sophomore midfielder Lindsay Lefebvre’s stick, set up thanks to a great pass from graduate midfielder Ava Vasile. The second period was far different than the low-scoring first, with each team notching three goals a piece.

The Bearcats tied the match at 4-4 early in the third period, but UVM responded with a goal by graduate attacker McKenzie Ballard for her second of the day to regain the lead.

The teams traded goals going into the fourth period, but UVM seemed to pull ahead when Ballard scored her third goal of the day to put the Catamounts up 8-6.

With goals from Binghamton’s midfielder Emma Conroy and UVM’s first-year midfielder Lydia Doraz setting the score at 9-7, the game seemed within reach for the Catamounts.

However, Binghamton ended the last eight minutes of the match by going on a three-goal run, with the final goal being a snipe from midfielder Hayley Weltner to set the final score of 10-9.

Still looking to secure their first win against a divisional opponent, UVM travels to Smithfield, Rhode Island to take on the Bryant Bulldogs on Saturday, April 6.