WRUV holding March concert series fundraiser

Exams are almost over, and WRUV is here to help you celebrate.

WRUV is teaming up with ArtsRiot this month to put on “March Radness,” which features a new concert every Thursday. Each show will consist of a national act and a local act, plus a WRUV DJ playing before and between sets, according to Events Director junior Tate Kamish.

WRUV tried to make the artists as musically diverse as possible, Kamish said.

“Each night is a different sound, a different genre,”  Kamish said. “We have smooth electronic R&B and we also have more classic rock-sounding music.”

The series is part of an ongoing effort to get the station more involved in the concert scene, said senior Eli Coretti, head of public relations.

“We used to do basement shows,” Coretti said. “ArtsRiot is a venue. It’s more legit.”

The station wants to draw more attention to itself, both on and off campus, he said.

“A lot of people don’t know about our existence,” Coretti said.

He explained that the station wants to establish a greater presence in Burlington through the series, which will hopefully translate into campus awareness as well.

DJ-in-training sophomore Trella Lopez said the concerts could also hold value for the WRUV community itself.

“I think having things like this allows people to get to know each other,” Lopez said. “There are a lot of DJs here. It’s hard to get everyone in one room.”

In addition to the benefits the series will have for the station, there is hope that the concerts will help listeners find new bands to love, Kamish said.

“I love music so much, so it’s sharing what I like with other people and hoping they like it as well,” she said.

The series will kick off with Uni Ika Ai and Abbie Morin (aka Hammydown) March 2. The show will start at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $10in advance and $12 the day of the show.