Pokeworks: Hawaiian cuisine comes to Church Street

Allie O'Connor, Assistant Culture Editor

Light wood, white walls and calm music all lend themselves to a relaxed and beachy atmosphere in this new addition to Burlington’s restaurants.

Pokeworks, which opened Jan. 9 on Church Street, is the perfect escape from the frigid winter temperatures and blustery winds. 

Pokeworks specializes in “Hawaiian-inspired poke bowls,” which contain a hearty mix of rice, fresh vegetables and meat or raw fish.

At Pokeworks, customers can select a meal from the list of “Signature Works,” which are poke bowls with pre-selected ingredients.

They can also pick ingredients for a poke bowl, salad or burrito of their own design.

I stepped up to the counter, a little overwhelmed at the vast array of unfamiliar foods. However, an employee was quick to notice my confusion and made recommendations.

I asked for shrimp and raw salmon, to which she recommended “mix-ins” of kale, cucumber, edamame, sweet onions and seaweed. After topping the bowl off with chives and the store’s signature sauce, I paid and sat down, ready to dig in.

To those who might be a little weirded out by the thought of eating raw fish, take my particularly picky word: it’s really good. You can also opt for the restaurant’s cooked options of tofu or chicken.

The ingredients were fresh and delicious. I got a large serving of food for a resonable price, which is pretty important for a broke college student.

Depending on the ingredients you choose, bowls cost between$10 and $13.

“The workers were really nice and helpful, and the food is really good,” sophomore Charlotte Lau said. “I got a good amount of food for a good price, so I’d absolutely recommend it.”

Despite my unfamiliarity with poke and Hawaiian cuisine, Pokeworks was an incredibly positive experience through helpful, friendly service and delightful ingredients.

However, I might need to sharpen my chopstick skills before I go again.

If you find yourself downtown and looking for a healthy meal, consider stepping into Pokeworks for a little corner of paradise.

The restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Saturday.