Pokeworks: Hawaiian cuisine comes to Church Street

Allie O'Connor, Assistant Culture Editor

Light wood, white walls and calm music all lend themselves to a relaxed and beachy atmosphere in this new addition to Burlington’s restaurants.

Pokeworks, which opened Jan. 9 on Church Street, is the perfect escape from the frigid winter temperatures and blustery winds. 

Pokeworks specializes in “Hawaiian-inspired poke bowls,” which contain a hearty mix of rice, fresh vegetables and meat or raw fish.

At Pokeworks, customers can select a meal from the list of “Signature Works,” which are poke bowls with pre-selected ingredients.

They can also pick ingredients for a poke bowl, salad or burrito of their own design.

I stepped up to the counter, a little overwhelmed at the vast array of unfamiliar foods. However, an employee was quick to notice my confusion and made recommendations.

I asked for shrimp and raw salmon, to which she recommended “mix-ins” of kale, cucumber, edamame, sweet onions and seaweed. After topping the bowl off with chives and the store’s signature sauce, I paid and sat down, ready to dig in.

To those who might be a little weirded out by the thought of eating raw fish, take my particularly picky word: it’s really good. You can also opt for the restaurant’s cooked options of tofu or chicken.

The ingredients were fresh and delicious. I got a large serving of food for a resonable price, which is pretty important for a broke college student.

Depending on the ingredients you choose, bowls cost between$10 and $13.

“The workers were really nice and helpful, and the food is really good,” sophomore Charlotte Lau said. “I got a good amount of food for a good price, so I’d absolutely recommend it.”

Despite my unfamiliarity with poke and Hawaiian cuisine, Pokeworks was an incredibly positive experience through helpful, friendly service and delightful ingredients.

However, I might need to sharpen my chopstick skills before I go again.

If you find yourself downtown and looking for a healthy meal, consider stepping into Pokeworks for a little corner of paradise.

The restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Saturday.

About the Photographer
Alek Fleury, Photo Editor

Alek Fleury is an English and Political Science double major from New Jersey (the greatest place on earth). He dedicates most of his life to being the...