The Chubby Muffin: Skinny Pancake’s Old North End sister

Jean Macbride, Staff Writer

The Chubby Muffin was packed with people ordering sandwiches. Two Labrador retrievers sat outside waiting for their owner, who was chowing down on a sandwich.

The books on the wall and the buzz of people chatting made the Chubby Muffin a cozy place to have breakfast.

Located on Oak Street, the sandwich shop is well known to Old North End residents and other locals for serving breakfast sandwiches and selling locally baked pastries. 

The Chubby Muffin is a sister company to the Skinny Pancake, according to its website. 

Breakfast sandwiches are served on homemade english muffins, although gluten-free bread is also available. 

The Quickee is topped with Cabot cheddar and a local egg. The sandwich costs $3.50 and has variations including the Meat Quickee and the Veggie Monster, a vegetarian option.

Many of the ingredients are local, and the restaurant sources many of their ingredients from the same farms as Skinny Pancake.

I decided to have the Meat Quickee with ham on gluten-free bread and no cheese.

The egg was sunny side up and cooked completely dry, The ham was rich and salty and was definitely the highlight of the meal.

Aside from the food, what made the Chubby Muffin really special was the atmosphere of the restaurant. 

The paintings by local artists around the dining area and the colorful chalk menu gave the restaurant a cozy feel. There were also plenty of options for coffee and a pastry case with muffins and scones that included gluten-free options.

The service at the restaurant was friendly and fast. It was easy to order food and even though there was a line it didn’t take long to get to the front.

After ordering I sat down at a table in the sitting area and a few minutes later, the sandwich was brought out, piping hot.

It’s true that the Chubby Muffin is out of the way from the usual hot spots of Burlington: Church Street and the waterfront.

I could see how some people who don’t know the area might not have heard of the Chubby Muffin. 

Located at 88 Oak St, it is a 20 minute walk from the UVM and Champlain College campuses.

But for sandwiches under $5, it’s definitely worth checking out.

The Chubby Muffin is open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the weekends.