Alumni association offers post-grad travel program

Alumni will soon be able to travel and study decades after graduating.

The new program, called UVM Discovery Travel, was developed by the UVM Alumni Association in partnership with Thomas P. Gohagan & Company.

Gohagan & Company is “an industry leader” experienced in travel with 35 other alumni associations across the country, Sarah Lenes, associate director of the Alumni Association, said.

The program is geared to- ward alumni who are nearing professional retirement or grad- uated 35 to 40 years ago, Lenessaid.

The program has been developed for people who want to travel, but don’t want to take on logistical planning, she said.

“We thought this was a good way to engage our alumni constituency. We know that many are interested in going abroad and studying further,” Lenes said.

Sophomore Audrey Tuck said she thinks the project will be useful after college.

“It sounds cool and like a good way to connect with old friends from college,” Tuck said.

Two trips have been planned for 2017, Lenes said; “Passage Through the Panama Canal and Costa Rica” is set for January and “River Life Along the Waterways of Holland and Belgium” for April.

“There is a huge educational component to the trips,” she said.

The itinerary for the Pan- ama/Costa Rica trip includes visiting Coiba National Park, the Curú National Wildlife Ref- uge and numerous museums in Panama City, Lenes said.

The Holland/Belgium trip includes walking tours of Ghent, Antwerp, Kampen and Maastricht.

Only a handful of people are currently signed up, but trips are equipped to take groups of anywhere from 15 to 50 people, she said.