Davis Center not only for students

Colder temperatures may increase the number of homeless people trying to spend the night in the building, Davis Center employees said.

Once the center closes for the night, they have to “kick them out,” senior Chris Torossian, a Davis Center employee Torossian said.

Junior Ragnar Clarke, who also works at the Davis Center, said they have had issues with homeless people trying to spend the night in the center.

“If a homeless person comes in here, because it’s open to the public, they are allowed to be here,” Clarke said.

If people try to sleep in the Davis Center past the closing hours the staff will try verbally to wake them up, he said.

“If they refused to leave, then we would definitely use police services to extradite them,” Clarke said. “That would be in a very extreme case.”

Usually, homeless people are respectful of the Davis Center, said Allen Josey, director of operations and event services for the Davis Center.

“Because we are a public building, we do not restrict anyone from coming as long as they are not creating a disturbance, breaking the law [or] making people feel uncomfortable by their actions,” Josey said.

If they continue to have issues with someone, they will be asked to leave the center for the day and, in rare instances, police services will be called, he said.

“If somebody is breaking any of the rules, we kind of keep an eye on them and we fill out the report,” said junior Krista Cantrell, a student employee.

She said it’s called a “suspicious persons” report and it’s only used when a person is acting inappropriately and has not listened to any previous warnings from staff members.

She said she likes that the Davis Center is open to the public and that its resources are available to everyone.

“It has a lot to offer, not just for students,” Cantrell said. “I think that’s an important thing.”

View Comments (1)