Town Meeting Day recap: King wins council seat, Question 7 and Proposition Zero fail

+The+Fletcher+Free+Library+on+College+Street%2C+where+Ward+8+voting+was+held+March+7.+Ward+8+is+where+parts+of+Athletic+and+Redstone+campus+residents+vote.

Emily Kobus

The Fletcher Free Library on College Street, where Ward 8 voting was held March 7. Ward 8 is where parts of Athletic and Redstone campus residents vote.

Hannah King ‘22, a Democrat, won the Ward 8 City Councilor position over Progressive Rhone Allison, a junior, with 54.81% of the vote, according to the City of Burlington’s candidate results.

Ward 8 covers parts of Athletic and Redstone campuses, according to the city ward map.

King unsuccessfully ran for the seat last year, according to a Feb. 19 VTDigger article. She had been consistently politically active in her work at the Lake Champlain Chamber and on U.S. Representative Becca Balint’s campaign, according to the article.

In the East District, which covers Central and Trinity campuses, Democrat Timothy Doherty won with 53.47% of the vote, according to the results.

Question 1

The first ballot question addressed an increase in the Burlington School District budget for fiscal year 2024 to $104,144,584 from $98,232,381 for FY 2023, thus potentially increasing the property tax rate by an estimated 4.03%, according to the city’s sample ballot.

The question passed with 68.41% of the vote, according to the City of Burlington election results website.

Question 2

Question 2 proposed a carbon pollution impact fee of $150 per ton of carbon on the construction of new buildings that will use fossil fuel energy systems as well as existing buildings that use the same systems, according to the ballot.

The question passed with 67.3% of the vote, according to the results.

Question 3

The third question aimed to redistrict the current four city electoral districts and eight city wards to have no more than a 10% deviation of population numbers across the wards, according to the ballot.

The question passed with 72.52% of the vote, according to the results. The new districts will become officially recognized March 2024, according to the ballot.

Question 4

Question 4 proposed further expanding Burlington’s voting rights to legal, non-citizen residents who fulfill all other voting criteria, allowing them to be able to vote in city elections and school board elections, according to the ballot.

The question passed with 67.97% of the vote, according to the results.

Question 5

Question 5 sought to broaden the responsibilities of the City Council to determine the location and number of polling locations to make voting more accessible to as many legal voters as possible, according to the ballot.

The question passed with 76.47% of the vote, according to the results.

Question 6

Question 6 on the ballot proposed to amend the current ballot procedure for the mayor, school board commissioner and ward election officers to all be conducted through a ranked choice voting system, according to the ballot.

The question passed with 64.42% of the vote, according to the results.

Question 7

Question 7 would have implemented an independent police control board with the authority to review police actions and decide reprimands—including removal—for all Burlington Police officers, according to the ballot.

The board would have been made up of seven to nine members selected by community organizations, and members could have had no prior experience in a law enforcement agency. One seat would have been guaranteed for the director of the city’s Racial Equity, Inclusion and Belonging office, and another seat for one city councilor, according to the ballot.

The question failed with 36.74% of the vote, according to the results.

Question 8

Question 8, also known as Proposition Zero, would have expanded the capabilities of voters in petitioning powers. Via petition, voters could have initiated non-binding ballot questions, binding ordinance propositions and referenda to repeal ordinances if the City Council had neither adopted nor repealed the ordinance, according to the ballot.

The question failed with 47.15% of the vote, according to the questions result website.