UVM will not require standardized test scores for those who apply 2020/2021

UVM will not be requiring standardized test scores from incoming undergraduate students who apply to UVM in 2020 and 2021. 

The University made this change because testing opportunities may have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a page on the UVM website. UVM announced the change on July 14 on its Instagram story. 

“This decision reflects uncertainty surrounding test-taking opportunities and aligns with changes being made in higher education throughout the United States,” the website stated. 

The University will offer help to all students affected by COVID-19, UVM President Suresh Garimella stated on the website. 

“[We want] to help optimize equity among applicants, especially given the far-reaching, and highly variable, impact of this pandemic,” Garimella stated. 

UVM’s decision is especially important to support underrepresented students, stated Patricia Prelock, Senior Vice President and provost. 

“Providing a test-optional application supports first-generation and other underrepresented student populations who may not have access to ideal testing conditions during the pandemic,” Prelock stated on the website. 

The UVM Office of Admissions will continue to assess student applicants individually. Students who choose not to send in their test scores will not be penalized, according to the website. 

However, students are still welcome to submit their scores if they are able.