UVM’s COVID cases drop to all-time low for semester, in last week of classes

In the final week of the school year, COVID-19 cases among UVM students have dropped to an all-time low for the semester, this week reporting only 14 positive cases compared to last week’s total of 40 positive cases.

Over the entire course of the spring semester, UVM reported a total of 324 positive on-campus cases out of 94,088 on-campus student tests received and a total of 376 positive off-campus cases among 127,504 off-campus student tests received. 

This past week’s report showed a total of five off-campus cases and nine on-campus cases, out of 16,137 test results received between May 3 and May 9. 

For a third consecutive week, there were zero positive cases reported among faculty and staff.

According to UVM’s weekly testing report, 53.85% of new cases last week came from students who were already in quarantine an increase from the previous week’s 48.78%.

Chittenden County continues to report the highest number of COVID-19 cases in the state of Vermont, with 188 new cases over the last 14 days, according to the Vermont Department of Health. 

While the county has consistently had the highest case count in the state, the most recent numbers demonstrate a marked decrease of 74 cases from the previous report.

UVM Strong stated in a May 6 email to the UVM community that 605 doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine were administered to students and community members, at the University’s May 2 vaccine clinic in the Patrick Gym.

The email also included updated testing guidelines for both students leaving after exams and for those who are residing in Burlington this summer. 

As of May 8, students no longer in Burlington do not have to test or submit a testing exemption form, according to a May 4 email from Gary Derr, VP for operations and public safety. 

Students still in Burlington who are fully vaccinated may request an exemption to test only once a week, while all other students must continue with twice-weekly testing until May 18, according to the email. 

Students are advised to schedule an additional COVID-19 test immediately prior to departure, according to Derr’s email. 

Summer-session students, student employees and those in emergency housing will be required to continue to test every seven days throughout the duration of the summer, even if fully vaccinated, according to the email. Other UVM students in the Burlington area are encouraged to do the same.

“It has not been easy, but you stepped up to the challenge in ways that we never imagined,” Derr stated. “To those returning in the fall, we look forward with great anticipation and excitement to the return of the lively UVM we all know and cherish!”