Valentine’s day is for the gals and pals

Tori Scala, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year. Target and CVS have aisles upon aisles of Valentine’s Day themed gifts and treats. 

Whether or not you acknowledge Valentine’s Day, it is pretty hard to escape.

This year don’t binge romcoms and cry into a box of chocolates you bought yourself. It’s 2021, and I like to think that we’re moving forward as a society. 

It’s time that Valentine’s Day was for everyone, and not just the people in relationships. How about we make Valentine’s Day inclusive for the singles as well as the wifed up folks.

Amidst surviving a pandemic and watching democracy crumble it’s understandable to not have a robust virtual dating life. If the thought of Valentine’s Day gives you anxiety, let me ease your worries. Why don’t this year we focus on ourselves and our loved ones, even if we are single.

Let’s surround ourselves, in person or virtually, with friends and family this Valentine’s Day, simply spreading love and appreciation for those who made getting through 2020 a little less traumatic. 

My preferred way to celebrate Valentine’s Day is with my closest girlfriends, and we call it “Galentine’s Day.”

In past years I’ve also been invited to “Palentine’s Day,” which has a nice ring to it. Whatever you choose to call it, it’s an excuse to be surrounded by people who make you happy. 

On Galentine’s Day we plan on doing all the typical girly things you would imagine single girls doing. Watching romcoms is always a safe option, but haven’t we seen enough of HULU and Netflix this year? 

Instead of sitting in front of a screen with your friends, having a spa night or baking a treat can be a fun new activity to explore this Galentine’s Day.   

Galentine’s Day is much less stressful than spending February 14th with my significant other. The romantic pressures put on couples to have everything perfect is unrealistic and out right scary. 

Galentine’s Day may be more popular this year due to the raging pandemic still running rampant in our country. The coronavirus pandemic has reshaped how people are dating, and this means it’s also changing how people are choosing to celebrate Valentine’s Day. 

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that COVID has made us feel isolated and alone. Valentine’s Day may be the “cherry on top” to this feeling of loneliness. 

Personally, social media is a big trigger for feeling lonely, because people only post the highlights of their life on social media. Why would someone post about feeling sad or upset when they could post an appreciation picture for their loving boyfriend or girl gang. 

My plan this Valentine’s Day is to be present, whether that be virtually or in person. Not only will this make me appreciate those around me, but also lessen those pesky feelings of isolation.

Using Valentine’s Day to initiate connection with other friends and family is the path I’m certainly taking this year. We should show appreciation to those who helped us get through one of the worst years we have lived thus far.

So on February 14th, don’t hide under the covers all day and hope it goes away. Enjoy this designated day of love in any way that makes you happy. In the end I like to believe that’s what Valentine’s Day is all about.