All-American earns team MVP

A senior on the UVM track and field team, has become nationally recognized for her performance in the javelin throw.

A Massachusetts native, Nika Ouellette holds records in both University and conference standings for javelin, after tossing a distance of nearly 50-meters at the America East championship her sophomore year.

“It was a pretty incredible feeling,” Ouellette said. “It was something I targeted from the beginning of my freshman year.”

“I got a slow clap going from my teammates, so that definitely gave me a boost,” she said.

Her throw of nearly 50-meters at the 2012 NCAA championships placed her 14th in the country, and earned her second team All-American, the first Catamount to ever receive the honor.

“It was a surreal experience, being the first Vermont track and field athlete to compete in nationals,” Oullette said.

“The atmosphere, the intensity of the contestants, it was just awesome,” she said.

Not only is Nika recognized nationally, her teammates are aware of the value she brings to table. They have named her team MVP each season since she arrived at the University, according to UVM athletics.

Ouellette said she looks to continue her success through the rest of the outdoor season by staying focused and committed to improving her already incredible career.

“I have my goal sheet posted right by my bed. It’s the first thing I see when I wake up, and the last thing I see when I go to bed,” she said.

“Personally, I’d love to surpass the 50-meter mark and potentially get up to 52 or 53 meters,” she said.

UVM has the privilege of hosting this year’s America East championships May 3 through May 4.

This is a “huge honor” for the University, Ouellette said.

“I’ve been doing some alumni outreach, to make the team and event known, [and] to make it as successful as possible,” she said.

Ouelette has already qualified for the preliminary rounds in Jacksonville, Fl., this spring.

From there she looks to qualify for nationals for the third time in four years.