Maisey, Millett lead cross country team

Looking to dispel old notions about runners and turn some heads in the process, the UVM cross country team has stormed into the 2008 season, led by a pair of runners with a lot of skill.

The men’s squad is led by junior Doug Maisey, fresh off being named America East Men’s Cross Country Performer of the Week following his personal victory in the McGill Open.

Following an eighth place finish in the America East last season, Maisey is optimistic about his team’s chances in the 2008 campaign.

“As a growing team we are looking to improve upon our standings from last year substantially while turning heads in the process,” Maisey said.

“We are focusing on the little things such as eating well, sleeping well and taking each practice one day at a time.”

The women’s squad is led by a 2007 All-New England junior, Aly Millett, whose time of 19:06.1 was top for the Catamounts at last season’s America East Championships.

Millett, whose second place finish led the women’s team to an overall victory last weekend in the UMass Invitational, has set realistic and hopeful goals for herself in the 2008 season.

“Personally, the only thing I can ever really ask for every new year is just to shave down my times,” Millett said.

“If I keep doing that I know I’ll keep moving up in America East.”

Millett sees several strengths in her team as the Catamounts aim to make some noise in the conference.

“We have a lot of freshmen this year and I think that has helped a lot with motivation for everyone to step it up,” Millett said.

“My freshman year the women were fourth in America East, and I really feel like our top seven this year will be a much closer pack than two years ago.”

Knowing that the cross country team isn’t necessarily the most publicized team at UVM, Maisey wants Catamount sports fans to know how tough his sport truly is.

“We are the kids that enjoy pushing ourselves to the limit, through pain and suffering, without knowing exactly where to draw the line of defeat,” Maisey emphatically stated.

Millett echoed Maisey’s assertion of the difficult nature of their sport.

“Usually when people think of cross country they think we run for fun, but every Tuesday and Thursday, doing repeat miles, or 800’s or hills, we are most likely not having fun,” Millett said.

With continued effort and improvement, the UVM cross country team looks primed to make a run at the America East crown.