Men’s soccer drops UMBC by 4-1 score

In his final America East Conference game, senior Juan Peralta scored once and had three assists, powering Vermont to a 4-1 victory over UMBC and securing a No. 3 seed in the America East Tournament.

Vermont finishes the regular season with a 9-6-1 overall record and a 4-2-1 in conference play.

Junior striker Zach Paul headed in a Peralta cross 14 minutes into the match to provide the first half’s only goal.

UMBC was forced to play much of the second half a man down after Travis Dennis was issued a red card for an attempted tackle on Zach Paul’s breakaway. Minutes later, Vermont capitalized on their advantage when sophomore defender Salvatore Borea headed in a Peralta cross, making it 2-0.

UMBC was able to get on the board in the 79th minute when UMBC’s Andrew Bulls, intercepted junior goalkeeper Dave Ramada’s clearing attempt and shot into a nearly undefended net.

Peralta responded in the 83rd minute finishing a cross from senior Yannick Lewis, making the Vermont lead 3-1. Peralta got his UVM record-tying third assist on the day in the 86th minute, serving up a corner kick that sophomore Evan Hodge scored off of senior Nick O’Neill’s shot.

In addition to tying the single-game UVM assist record, Peralta tallied his 10th assist of the season tying a UVM single-season record.

The Catamounts will play their first round playoff game against Albany at Centennial Field on Nov. 5 at 1 p.m. A victory will set up a Nov. 9 matchup at Stony Brook in the semifinals.