Men’s soccer seeded second in semis

Image Source: FACEBOOK

Men’s soccer midfielder Frosti Brynjolfsson, a first-year, chases a ball past the University of New Hampshire goaltender, Nov. 6. The game ended in a tie, with UVM clinching the No. 2 America East Conference seed.

Hayley Rosen, Sports Reporter

Both tension and visible breath were in the air during the America East men’s soccer championship game between UVM and University of New Hampshire Nov. 6.

Going into the game, UNH was ranked No. 18 nationally, whereas UVM was ranked significantly lower at No. 60. In America East, UNH was the No. 1 seed entering the match and UVM was the No. 2 seed.

The 37 degree air and the slick, wet grass in Durham, New Hampshire, at the time of the match caused challenging playing conditions for the teams.

Throughout the game, several players slipped, resulting in unintentional fouls. But most fouls had nothing to do with the weather.

Throughout the game, a total of 33 fouls were committed. Twenty-two of these fouls were committed by UVM, and the other 11 were committed by UNH.

The scoring was set off by UNH’s Jack Doherty, who scored almost instantly in regulation. This UNH goal came in the fourth minute of regulation off of a free kick play with assists credited to UNH’s Josh Bauer and Antoni Colacci.

UVM did not manage to equalize until the 75th minute of regulation. Forward Rasmus Tobinski, a first-year, scored off a penalty kick which he placed in the opposite corner despite the UNH goalie’s dive toward it.

The commentators, while biased because they are UNH students, debated whether or not the penalty kick should have been given.

It was granted on a play where UNH goalie, Alejandro Robles, dove out to try to attempt to grab the ball, and instead grabbed a UVM player’s foot, causing the player to fall inside of the penalty box.

Overall, UNH seemed to be the stronger team offensively. They had more shots on goal, and this caused UVM goalie Aron Runarsson, a senior, to rack up many more saves than the UNH goalie did. UVM totaled seven saves and UNH only had two.

While UVM was granted more corner kicks than UNH,  UVM failed to capitalize on any of their five corner kicks.

At one point, the referees had to get involved and separate players after tensions broke in the second half of play. Players cursed one another out and got in each other’s faces.

While the game was very competitive, neither team was able to claim the victory.

The game ended in a 1-1 tie after neither team was able to win in overtime. As a result of the tie, UNH clenched the No. 1 seed and UVM secured the No. 2 seed in the upcoming conference tournament.

However, the teams both walked away as the co-champions of America East regular season.

UVM men’s soccer will play again 4 p.m. Nov. 13 at home versus No. 3 seed University of Hartford.