NFL Picks: Week Two

Ê

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers

After their disappointing loss to San Francisco on Sunday, the Packers will try to mount a comeback in the short week when they welcome the Bears into Lambeau.             Chicago is coming off an impressive win though beating the Indianapolis Colts and Andrew Luck and spoiling his NFL debut. Chicago’s defense came up with three interceptions to go along with three sacks. Brandon Marshall looked great in his Bear debut catching nine balls for 119 yards and a touchdown.                                In their loss to the 49’ers, Aaron Rodgers and the Packer offense looked good, but they struggled in the running game and became one dimensional as the game progressed. What held the Packers back was an ineffective run defense that struggled to stop Frank Gore.                                                                                 Chicago has two solid running backs in Matt Forte and Michael Bush, who combined for three total touchdowns in week one. Green Bay will get their first win of the season at home in Lambeau.

Ê

Ê

Baltimore Ravens at Philadelphia Eagles

Michael Vick and the Eagles barely scraped by Cleveland in week one to get to 1-0. Vick threw four interceptions but was able to drive the Eagles 91 yards for the game-winning score.                                                                                                        Baltimore on the other hand looked outstanding against Cincinnati on Monday Night Football. The Ravens debuted their no-huddle offense and Joe Flacco looked like a different quarterback. He looked confident throwing the ball, and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron showed he was still able to integrate star running back Ray Rice despite a decrease in his touches per game. On the defensive side the Baltimore defense limited a talented Bengal offense, even without Terrell Suggs,  and put pressure on Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton. Philadelphia will put together a solid season and likely make the playoffs, but after week two they will be .500. Baltimore will spoil the Eagles’ home opener.

Ê

Ê

New York Jets at Pittsburgh Steelers

So much for no offense in New York. After looking inept for much of the preseason, in their first regular season game the Jets got offense – a lot of it.                             Mark Sanchez picked apart a supposedly improved Bills’ defense in rout to their 48-28 victory. Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill each caught two touchdowns and the Jet defense got three interceptions including an Antonio Cromartie pick six.   One concern would be Darrelle Revis’ minor concussion. With the new concussion treatment protocols in effect in the league, we will have to see if the stud cornerback will be able to suit up.                                                                                  Pittsburgh will be out for vengeance after having their opener spoiled by Peyton Manning and should be able to stand toe to toe with the Jets’ D. I predict a win for the Steelers in their home opener.

Ê

Ê

Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49’ers

Despite both being 1-0, these two teams took quite divergent routes in earning those victories.                                                                                                      Whereas the 49’ers went into Lambeau Field and defeated a Packers team that lost only one game in the 2011 regular season, the Lions barely beat the St. Louis Rams, a team that only won two games. It took a pass from Mathew Stafford to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds left in the game to ensure the victory.                               Smith looked good as the signature back for the Lions and Calvin Johnson had an incredible catch, but overall the Lions, did not separate themselves from a struggling Browns team. The 49’ers excelled on all sides of the ball. Alex Smith tossed two touchdown passes and kicker David Akers tied an NFL record hitting a 63-yard field goal to close out the first half. The Niners are too strong on both sides of the ball and roll in their home opener.