Through the lens: Campus Bathroom Art

Annalisa Madonia
Tiny drawings and messages cover the stalls in the Williams bathrooms on the second floor.

Our campus has an abundance of creativity coursing through its students. However, for students who are not in a major or club that allows for that creativity to be expressed, it can be difficult to find time or energy to display it. In spite of this, some students have found a way to express themselves through miniscule doodles or messages meant for other students to be amused or comforted. Bathroom art can be found all across campus and features things such as little drawings of characters that may be dear to the artist, heartfelt messages for other students to read and brighten their day or just random colorful shapes and lines to cover the bland stall doors.

Two different characters drawn on the bathroom wall in Williams having a conversation. (Annalisa Madonia)
A message written in the stalls of the Fleming Museum to comfort students who may be far from home. (Annalisa Madonia)
A little green character stares at themself through a drawn mirror. (Annalisa Madonia)
A square is drawn on the wall of Williams to replace a missing mirror above a sink. (Annalisa Madonia)
The word “love” is written on the door of the bathroom on the first floor of Innovation. (Annalisa Madonia)
A mushroom with sparkles surrounding it is displayed on a stall in Innovation Hall. (Annalisa Madonia)
Written on a stall in Innovation on the first floor about closure. (Annalisa Madonia)
A face is drawn in red marker on the wall of Williams’ second floor bathroom. (Annalisa Madonia)
The basement of Royal Tyler Theater features a drawing of a dead fish. (Annalisa Madonia )