Student cited for racist threats on campus

Lauren Schnepf, Assistant News Editor

UVM police services has cited a continuing education student after reports of violent racial slurs on campus.

Administrators sent a campus-wide email Oct. 2 stating that threatening and racist language had been directed toward “African American students and general diversity initiatives at UVM.”

“Such detestable remarks and threats directed to any group or individual are antithetical to our values and commitment to work toward racial equality and greater inclusion,” stated Annie Stevens, vice provost for student affairs, and Al Turgeon, chief risk officer, in the email.

Junior Z McCarron said the University only sent out the notice to campus after a group of student leaders demanded administrators notify the campus.

Several UVM students stated that the threat was overhead at the media center in Bailey/Howe Library to kill African American students on campus.

“White male threatens to shoot and kill all Black students on campus. UVM response: Let’s send an email. That’s UVM for ya, ‘progressive’ until it’s inconvenient or not affecting their whitelihood,” sophomore Harmony Edosomwan, president of the Black Student Union posted on Facebook on Wednesday.

Lianne Tuomey, Chief of UVM police services, sent an email Oct. 5 stating the person of interest was identified as Wesley Richter, a continuing education student.

The Chittenden County State’s Attorney will determine the charge against Richter and take over the legal process, the email stated.

“UVM police services has conducted a thorough investigation and threat assessment.  They found no information of an imminent threat to public safety.  If there had been an imminent threat of harm to our community or to individuals, including any indications of weapons involved, additional steps and safeguards would have been initiated,” the email stated.

Annie Stevens and Wesley Richter did not respond to requests for comment.