Use your anger to fuel activism

Letter to the Editor

Three weeks ago, almost 1,000 students walked out of classes to protest the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, to support heroes Christine Blasey Ford and Anita Hill and to stand with survivors of sexual assault.

We stood to oppose the political threats that Kavanaugh poses – the erosion of abortion rights and further assaults on immigrants, queer people, people of color, unions, etc.

We stood to oppose the culture of disrespect, abuse and disenfranchisement of oppressed people, women in particular, that led to Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination.

We know that this culture exists at UVM, too.

Now that Kavanaugh is on the Court, I think it’s fair to say that oppressed people everywhere are furious.

It isn’t like we didn’t see it coming, but it hurts to see how little we matter to those in power. The patriarchy may have won this round, but the fight isn’t over yet.

Kavanaugh’s appointment is not a testament to the thoroughness of the FBI’s investigation or a lesson that the thousands of people who took to the streets to stop him weren’t working hard enough.

It’s a reminder that in a system that ignores oppression and that prioritizes profit and the reproduction of its own power structures over human life and dignity, our only power lies in our own hands.

Right now a lot of people are saying the only thing to do is get out the vote. I don’t think that’s enough.

When we won Roe v. Wade, it wasn’t because of liberal judges or a liberal establishment.

It was the direct actions of thousands and thousands of people across the country demanding the right to make their own decisions about their own bodies.

When we exercise our power and take to the streets or walk out of classes and work, we can impact how the law itself is read.

Change comes when we unapologetically demand our rights. Change comes when we take up space and disrupt the status quo.

To everyone who is furious today, the struggle continues in every major decision this Supreme Court makes.

Our fight must be loud, proud and in the streets.