Cats continue to feel comfortable at home

Thus far, men’s lacrosse has been a tale of two seasons. At home, Vermont is a perfect 4-0 after beating Holy Cross 15-5 on April 5.

On the road, however, they are merely 1-5. Despite an early season win at Air Force, the Catamounts have struggled on the road, most recently with an 8-7 overtime loss at Binghamton.

In their loss on April 2 in Vestal, N.Y., the Cats held a 7-3 lead through three quarters behind a hat-trick by senior Kyle Sminkey.

Binghamton dominated the fourth quarter, tying the game at seven with 1:53 to go. While both teams had scoring opportunities in the extra session, Binghamton took a timeout with 1:22 left and Binghamton sophomore Matt Springer scored the winning goal just 23 seconds later.

Binghamton outshot Vermont 38-29, and junior David Barton had 10 saves for the Cats.

Against Holy Cross, Vermont aggressively lead 7-0 after the first quarter, and cruised from there.

Sophomore Drew Phillipe scored four goals as well as tallying an assist. Kyle Sminkey had his second hat-trick in two games and, more impressively, had all three goals this time in quarter one.

The team’s five wins is the most in a season since 2008.

Holy Cross (0-10) scored first in the second quarter cutting the lead to 7-2, Vermont pushed the lead back to seven before another Crusader goal making it 9-3 after two. Vermont outshot Holy Cross 37-23 as David Barton earned another win in goal.

On another lacrosse note, senior Evan O’Brian was named a National Strength and Conditioning Association All-American Athlete of the Year.

This award recognizes student-athletes who have shown a dedication to strength training and conditioning.

O’Brian is a captain of the lacrosse team and anchors a defensive unit giving up 8.26 goals per game.