Cats on the prowl

Ê

Ê

On April 21, the day that Virtue Field, the new home of the Catamounts, was dedicated, Catamount lacrosse had a big day. Both squads beat Binghamton and snapped losing streaks.

The women won 12-7 getting much of their production from seniors Allison Pfohl and Adison Rounds, who each scored a hat trick, and senior Samantha Stern, who had four points.

After Rounds netted the game’s first goal at the 13:13 mark, Binghamton responded just a minute later to tie the game at 1-1.

The Cats were able to score three more goals from three different players to take a 4-1 lead into the half.

Despite several quick Binghamton goals opening the second half and cutting the lead to two, Vermont scored the next five goals to take a 10-5 lead with just over 13 minutes to go. From there, the Catamounts and Bearcats traded goals.

The win broke a four game losing streak for Vermont and raises their record to 9-7 overall and 2-3 in America East play, good for a tie for fourth place with Albany and New Hampshire.

The Catamounts got the tie with New Hampshire after beating them earlier this season, and will host Albany this weekend at Virtue Field. The winner of the game will earn a spot in the America East playoffs.

“I think defensively we played amazing – to hold them to one goal in that first half was great,” said women’s coach Jen Johnson postgame. “We knew after last week that we had to win our next two games if we want to make the tournament.”

The men also took control of their postseason destiny in their 11-5 victory over Binghamton. Senior Thomas Galvin and junior Drew Philie combined for seven goals. The win improves Vermont’s record to 2-10 overall and 1-3 in America East.

“I thought we played pretty well all around,” said men’s coach Ryan Curtis. “We knew this team was scrappy and that they would come back if we got up on them; they’ve shown that they could do that all season.”

Despite trailing 4-3 in the third quarter, the Cats responded with eight straight goals and never looked back. Galvin scored a career high of four goals and Philie added a hat trick, and senior David Barton stopped 10 shots. First-year Mark D’Anthony earned his first career point, tallying an assist on the Philie’s second goal of the third quarter.

“I really think that it was just the team coming together – everyone did their part,” said Galvin. “It was up to us to score some goals and we moved the ball well and a lot of people got involved.”

Vermont’s season will come down to a showdown this weekend at Hartford. A win would clinch a spot in the America East tournament.

“Our goal all along was to get to the tournament and we still have a shot at that,” Curtis said.