Five gym classes you never hear about

Students often forget that school doesn’t have to be all work and no play. UVM has 28 physical education classes that students can take for one credit each.

Among these numerous classes, six were picked to highlight some fun and exciting courses you can take to either get in shape, relax, work on your game or even get certified. These classes include: badminton, figure skating, tennis, yoga and scuba diving.

1. Scuba Diving

Scuba is an unexpected course that attracts more people than one would think. Chip Perry, one of the co-owners of the Waterfront Diving Center, teaches scuba diving classes at UVM.

“There’s currently 37 students enrolled in the class, we have space for 48 but we rarely get that much because people change there minds the first week or two of class, Perry said. “There is always room for more though.”

Perry said he tried getting into the same class 15 years ago as an undergraduate at UVM. “It was a required credit then and it was always full.” Since he couldn’t get into a class, he started taking classes at the Waterfront Diving Center and fell in love with the sport.

The scuba class is a standardized course through the National Association of Underwater Instructors. It teaches everything from basic snorkeling skills all the way up to rescue techniques for someone who is in need of assistance, Perry said.

“Scuba is such an awesome class. We learn a lot of things from Chip. It is a lot of work but it’s so much fun and really does pay off in the end,” first-year Carli Shroyer said. Not only is it a fun class to be apart of but, you can also get certified in scuba diving as well.

2. Badminton

Badminton is taught by Peter Jenkinson on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Each class has about 14 students who all have different skill levels. “I think it’s best for people to just get out there and play games because that’s how you get better,” Jenkinson said.

This is a really fun class that you can take in an easy going environment. “One of the craziest things that has happened was when I got beat by one of my students,” Jenkinson said.

3. Tennis

Kevin Lizzo teaches six different tennis classes which meet twice a week. There are two beginner and intermediate classes as well as one advanced and doubles class.

“I’ve been a life-long player,” Lizzo, who just started teaching at UVM this year, said. “Just making people improve, enjoy the sport and be healthy” is Lizzo’s favorite part about teaching tennis.

4. Yoga

John McConnell teaches three sections of the course formally titled Yoga & Mindfulness. “It is not like your regular yoga class because it includes meditation and contemplations,” McConnell said. This is a great way to earn a credit for some relaxation.

5. Figure Skating

Figure Skating is taught by Martha Jean Harding on Mondays and Wednesdays. It is a class filled with different skill levels and Harding does a great job of teaching and assisting her students. Music is played throughout Gutterson Rink during class, which provides a calm atmosphere for students.