Globetrotters Coming To Patrick Gym

Get your popcorn ready – The Harlem Globetrotters are coming to the Patrick Gymnasium this Thursday. These athletic showmen incorporate music, humor, and dance on the basketball court to create an enjoyable atmosphere for all.

Featuring numerous former college basketball players, including two who competed in the 2011 College Slam Dunk contest – Jet Williams and Darnell ‘Spider’ Wilks – there is a wonderful blend of basketball talent and entertainment value.

Founded in 1927 the once featured some of the world’s best basketball talent before the NBA truly established itself. Despite the NBA becoming the destination of choice for elite basketball players there is no lack of talent on the current roster.

A total of 113 players played for both the Globetrotters and in the NBA. Most famously Wilt Chamberlain, the 100-point man. More recently, Devean George of the Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks as well as Jamario Moon of the Toronto Raptors and Cleveland Cavaliers played for the Globetrotters.

Each member on the roster brings his or her own flare to the court. Ball-handlers like Ant and Handles, high-fliers like the two dunk contest participants and Hi-Lite, and novelty value like Tiny and Too Tall.

In fact, the current roster includes the tallest player in Globetrotter history, Tiny, standing 7-8 as well as the shortest, Too Tall, measuring a mere 5-2.

Led by Special K, who is mic’d up and communicates with the crowd throughout, there is never a dull moment when the Globetrotters are in the arena. He is the pilot in this ordeal, and always brings you to your destination satisfied. If you saw the Globetrotter’s in Burlington last year, you witnessed referee clowning, backboard sitting, and numerous high-flying dunks.

Tickets for the show are still on sale for students now. This opportunity might be just what the doctor ordered for those looking to rid themselves of the bitter taste of the Catamounts heartbreaking loss to Albany last week.