Lake Monsters invade summer

For UVM sports fans, there’s not much to see in the summer months. Burlington, thankfully, offers a unique opportunity for sports fans, UVM students or otherwise.  

The Vermont Lake Monsters, the single A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics, is a proud asset to the state and a chance for those Burlington baseball fans who dearly miss the UVM baseball program to catch a few games at Centennial Field.

On March 14, UVM interim President John Bramley agreed to a lease deal with Lake Monsters owner Ray Pecor for $1 a year in order to keep minor league baseball in Vermont for an extended period of time. 

Tickets for the professional level games start at $7 for general admission and open up an array of ballgame food and 25 cent hot dogs on Mondays. If you make it to a Friday game, you’ll be treated to a postgame fireworks show, too.

The Lake Monsters are led by right fielder John Wooten from East Carolina University and catcher Bruce Maxwell from Birmingham Southern College, the top two prospects on the team. 

While Wooten is a New York Penn League top 20 batter in most offensive categories – the fourth highest RBI producer in the league – the Lake Monsters sit in last place of the Stedler division of the Penn League, far behind first place Tri-City.

In any case, the Monsters will play their last five games at home from Sept. 1-5, giving Vermonters a last chance to see some baseball until the UVM Club Baseball season starts up in the spring.

UVM sophomore and Vermonter Cooper Brochu has spent countless hours in the Centennial Field stands and has enjoyed every minute of it.

“Having the Lake Monsters in town is awesome for Vermonters,” Brochu said. “Cheap tickets, a bouncy house, and a team to root for now that the Sox are in the toilet… what more could you want?”