NFL Picks Week 7

Patriots vs Jets

With five seconds left in last week’s game against the Saints, the Patriots were facing a two-game losing streak and a week of “Are the Patriots done?!” and “Where is Gronk?!” headlines on almost every news outlet.

Undrafted Kenbrell Thompkins beat his man on a fade to the corner, kept his feet in bounds and gave New England an electrifying comeback win.

No losing streak. No eight quarter touchdown-less streak for Brady. Life is alright.

While the Patriots handed the Saints their first loss of the season, the Jets had the privilege of giving 0-4 Pittsburgh their first victory last week.

It’s not as doom and gloom in New York as was expected. Rex Ryan’s squad has proven to be one of the tougher defenses in the league, and rookie quarterback Geno Smith has shown flashes of potential.

The Jets played the Patriots tough in Week 2, only losing 13-10 in Foxborough, but I’ve got the Patriots taking this one pretty handily. That Thompkins catch has Turning Point of the Season written all over it, and I expect New England to ride the momentum to a double digit victory.

The Picks

New England: Rory, Taylor, Julia, Stu, Colin and Owen
New York: Jake

Bengals vs Lions

In 2008, these teams finished a combined 4-27. This year, they’re a combined 8-4. These two beleaguered fanbases are finally witnessing some good football.

Defensive tackle Geno Atkins anchors a Bengals defense that recently halted Tom Brady’s 52 consecutive games with a TD pass streak, which naturally means I’ll be picking against them.

Kidding! Just coincidence. I swear.

The actual reason for why I’m picking Detroit is less spiteful and based on the matchup they pose to a more conservative Cincinnati team.

Detroit scores points in a hurry. In their last home game, they put up 40 points against the Bears. Superstar wide receiver Calvin Johnson caught a touchdown pass, but it was first-year Lion Reggie Bush who carried Detroit with 173 yards from scrimmage.

For the Bengals to win, they’re going to have to keep up Detroit’s explosive offense. I don’t see the Bengals offense matching up like that.

The Picks

Cincinnati: Julia, Stu, Jake and Colin

Detriot: Rory, Taylor and Owen

Broncos vs Colts

When Colts legend and current Bronco Peyton Manning takes the field this Sunday, he will be showered in applause and adoration.

Manning will forever be an Indianapolis icon after delivering 13 years of elite quarterback play and cementing himself as one of the best to ever play the game of football.

Unfortunately for Colts fans, Manning exists better as a fond memory than as an opposing quarterback.

Denver will enter Lucas Oil Stadium with the top passing offense in the league. Demaryius Thomas is joined by former Patriot Wes Welker and rookie standout Julius Thomas to form a dynamic receiving core for Manning, who leads the league in passing yards. The guy is scary good.

For Indianapolis, who made news in recent weeks with their acquisition of running back Trent Richardson, will rely on Manning’s replacement, Andrew Luck, to live up to the gaudy expectations set up for him in the wake of the Peyton Manning Era.

So far it’s been nothing but good reviews for the second year quarterback, who seems to fit the bill as the face of the franchise.

In a few years, the Luck-over-Manning decision should prove fruitful for the Colts, but for now, this matchup will be dominated by Peyton.

The Picks

Denver: Taylor, Julia, Stu, Jake, Colin and Owen