Policy Too Mild?

Penalties for drug use in professional sports are far too lenient. Steroids and use of other illegal drugs put the integrity of sports into question, and often without consequence.

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig said, “Under our current drug program, if you are caught using steroids and/or amphetamines, you will be punished.

“Since 2005, every player who has tested positive for steroids has been suspended for as much as 50 games.”

Wow, 50 games! This guy rules with an iron fist! So if you test positive for any type of drugs you might have to miss as much as a third of the regular season!

Left fielder for the Milwaukee Brewers, Ryan Braun is still reaping the rewards of a $145 million contract after snaking his way through a positive test in 2011.

When Braun’s urine sample was tested, it showed Braun had a greater than 20-to-1 ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone, two hormones in the body that should appear in roughly equal amounts in the body.

Anything above a result of 4-to-1 is considered a positive result. The only reason why Braun won his appeal in 2011 was because the sample collector kept his urine in his refrigerator before he shipped it, for some strange reason.

Then in 2013 his name appeared once again in a Miami New Times report where he was affiliated with the Performance Enhancing Drugs providing clinic Biogenesis. It can’t be proven without a doubt that Braun took steroids, but where there’s smoke there’s fire.

Former San Fransisco Giant Melky Cabrera tested positive for testosterone and was only suspended 50 games. Then he was rewarded in the offseason with a $16 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays even though everyone knows he is a cheat.

So if Major League Baseball wants to keep pretending that they want to eliminate steroid use in the sport, they should institute harsher penalties.

An alternative option would be to go all in and have a league of herculean hitters that look like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises launching home runs 700 feet into the stands.

At least start off with a yearlong suspension without pay for the first offense. The second should be a lifetime ban. But Major League Baseball profits too much from steroid use to do it.

Selig says that steroid use is virtually non-existent today. This year Ryan Braun, Melky Cabrera, Alex Rodriguez, Nelson Cruz and Gio Gonzalez have all been linked in the Miami New Times report about steroids.

Commissioner Bud Selig claims to be tough on steroid use. But all of those guys are still playing, virtually unscathed by MLB.

Don’t reward a known cheater. As a Yankee fan, I would absolutely love if it was possible to void the remaining 5 years and $114 million on Alex Rodriguez’ contract for steroid use. But it won’t happen.

With the NFL draft coming up, concerns about talented defensive back Tyrann Mathieu’s marijuana use have come up. While it is an issue since he failed more than 10 drug tests, there are more pressing issues in sports.

Alcohol abuse has also become a serious problem in the NFL. Countless NFL players have been charged with DUIs. Most notably Cowboys’ nose tackle Josh Brent killed his teammate while drunk driving.

Marijuana is a much smaller issue. Michael Phelps was vilified for smoking marijuana following the 2008 Olympics, after a photo of him using a bong went viral.

In response, the U.S. Olympic Committee stated it was disappointed in Phelps’ behavior. Michael is a role model, and he is well aware of the responsibilities and accountability that come with setting a positive example for others, particularly young people,” the USOC said in a statement.

USA Swimming said its Olympic champions are looked up to by their many fans, especially young athletes who have their own dreams.

Michael Phelps didn’t ask to become a role model. He’s just good at swimming. He doesn’t owe the young athletes anything, and they certainly shouldn’t idolize him less.

His personal life shouldn’t factor into their admiration, his performance should. America forced him to become a role model because of the celebrity worship in this country. Phelps never tested positive for PEDs.

He won eight gold medals. Smoking marijuana certainly didn’t hurt his performance in the 2012 Olympics, as he became the most decorated Olympian of all time.

Living so much of their lives in the public eye makes being “human” more difficult for professional athletes.

Some drugs have proved to be more detrimental for athletes and their performances on and off the field, than other.

Fans should remember that these athletes are human, they make mistakes, regardless they still remain talented players that followers may still look up to and admire for such talents.