Senior Day marks end of regular season for women’s field hockey

Jamie Kaplan
UVM women’s field hockey loses 2-1 against UAlbany Oct. 27.

On a day meant to commemorate the achievements and collegiate careers of seniors, Friday Oct. 27 saw a hard-fought match on Moulton Winder Field by the Catamounts against the University of Albany Great Danes.

Sophomore forward Sophia Lefranc opened the scoring in the first period with a deflected shot to put the Catamounts up 1-0. UVM also had its only penalty corner of the match in the period.

Possession was traded often between the two teams throughout the second and third period, with the defenses of each team not wanting to lose an inch.

The Great Danes were able to tie the match early in the fourth period thanks to sophomore forward Sophia Schoonmaker. With the game tied, anticipation only started to grow in the bleachers.

However, some late-game heroics from junior forward Isabella Del Vecchio made the score 2-1 for UAlbany with less than two minutes remaining in the match. UVM made a last-second effort to push the ball into UAlbany territory, but the final buzzer sounded to end the regular season.

Playoffs still loom in the future for the Catamounts, with their next match pending a date and location.