Sports Shorts

Downing signs with Binghamton Senators

Former men’s hockey assistant captain Jack Downing has signed a one-year contract with the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League. The Binghamton Senators are the AHL affiliate of the Ottawa Senators of the NHL. Downing led the Catamounts in goal scoring last season with 13 tallies. Downing scored 35 goals in his 144 career games at Vermont and also helped the team to reach the Frozen Four for the second time in program history. Downing’s new team will begin their season on Oct. 7.

Frozen Fenway 2012

College hockey will one again be played at Fenway Park this winter but this time the Catamounts will have a chance to take the ice at Frozen Fenway 2012. UVM will face the UMass Minutemen on Jan. 7 in the opening game of the Hockey East Doubleheader. The game will be followed by a contest between Maine and New Hampshire. In this year’s Frozen Fenway, all the competing schools are state schools. Though tickets will go on sale to the general public on Sept. 13, UVM students will have a chance to claim seats before this date.

Field hockey captures first win of season

As of Sept. 3 the Catamounts are 1-2 on the season for field hockey. The team’s first victory was earned over Hofstra. Vermont defeated Hofstra 2-1 after sophomore Coleen Slaughter scored to shatter a tie early in the second half. The Catamounts never gave up the lead after Slaughter’s tally. Catamount goalkeeper sophomore Stephanie Zygmunt had 12 saves in the game. The game was played on a neutral site at Colgate University. Prior to this game, the Cats were defeated by Boston College and UMass. The next opponent the team will face will be Colgate.