Sports shorts

Cats top the Big Green

The men’s basketball team took the short trip down I- 89 to face Dartmouth (1-5) in what was their eighth straight road game last Monday. Junior Joey Accaoui shot six of seven from the floor and 4-for-4 from the line in just 24 minutes of action, finishing the night with a career-high 17 points.
Two other Cat’s hit double figures in the road win Senior Maurice Joseph adding 15, and fellow senior Marqus Blakely recording another double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. The final score was Vermont 63, Dartmouth 58, taking the Catamounts to an even .500 on the year, improving to 4-4.

Former NHL star and UVM alum inducted to Hall of Fame

Former University of Vermont and NHL star John LeClair (‘91) was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame on Thursday December 3, 2009 at the Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel.      The St. Albans native joins former NHL players Tony Amonte and Tom Barrasso in the 2009 induction class.      As a pro, LeClair recorded 819 points, 406 goals and 413 assists, in 967 career games over 16 NHL seasons as a member of the Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins. He also chalked up 154 NHL playoff games throughout his career with 89 points, 42 goals and 47 assists.
In 1993, he won the Stanley Cup.  LeClair was a five-time All-Star and became the first American-born NHL player to post three consecutive 50-goal seasons from 1995-1998. As a Catamount,, LeClair notched 56 goals and 60 assists for 116 points in 92 games between 1987-1990.  He is UVM’s highest ever draft selection. 

Uhl named to ESPN’s Nordic First-Team for academic performance

Senior Juergen Uhl of the men’s Nordic ski team has been named to the ESPN Magazine’s Academic All-America Men’s At-Large First-Team.      Uhl is just the fourth Catamount in school history to be named to the Academic All-America First-Team. He was a three-time NCAA All-American and was named to the NCAA All-Academic Team all four years, while maintaining a 3.81 grade point average in mechanical engineering.      This past year, Uhl capped off his career by winning the 10k classic at the 2009 NCAA Ski Championships to earn Vermont’s first