Sports shorts

Men’s hockey ranked 10th after tough road loss

Although the men’s hockey team had a solid win over No. 12 Boston College on Oct. 18, the Catamounts  slipped up in the Oct. 23 contest against Merrimack.
The Cats lost 5-2, dropping them from No. 7 to No. 10 in the national rankings.
With a 2-3 record, and both wins coming against top 15 teams — including top-ranked University of Denver — the team has shown tremendous potential, but they must play week in and week out and win these easier games.
“We still have to be one of the hardest working teams in the country,” head coach Kevin Sneed said.
Although it was a tough loss, senior Brayden Irwin scored a goal against the Warriors, extending his four-game point streak.
Also, fellow senior, Kyle Medvec, scored his first goal of the season, becoming the 10th different Catamount to notch a goal this season.

Women’s hockey splits W’s with Princeton

The Vermont women’s hockey team split a weekend series against Princeton, winning 4-3 on Friday and falling 7-2 on Saturday.
The victory on Friday marked the first time in school history that Vermont defeated the Tigers, previously rendering a 0-9 record against Princeton.
UVM is currently stands at 4-2-0 during its eight-game homestand.
This week, the Cats opened up the ever-difficult inter-conference, Hockey East action, falling to Northeastern in a two-game series and hosting Boston College the coming weekend.

Swimming and diving remains unbeaten

Last week, the Catamounts swimming and diving team continued their win streak, improving to 4-0 with a home defeat of Siena, 167-124.
This win marks the first time since 2006-07 the team began the season with a 4-0 record.
Junior Kate Weaver recorded three wins, taking first in the 100 (54.22) and 200 (1:54.08) freestyle events, as well as the 100 butterfly (59.57).
Weaver also teamed up with senior Colleen Clark, freshman Abby Mundt and sophomore Hannah Center, breaking the pool record in the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:37.07.
Clark was also a multiple-event winner, in the 50 (25.00) and 500 (5:05.95) freestyle events.