Sports Shorts

Men’s soccer drops two on the west coast

The men’s soccer team flew all the way to California over the weekend to play California and Stanford. Unfortunately for the Cats, they were not able to win either of the two games. The California Golden Bears scored the only three goals of the game on Sept. 23, all in the second half, thus shutting out the Catamounts. This loss ended a three-game winning streak for Vermont. Stanford scored first on Sept. 25, but this time the Catamounts were able to answer. Just twenty minutes later, senior Yannick Lewis scored and tied the game at one. Stanford took back the lead early in the second half though and this time the Catamounts were not able to score again. UVM goaltender junior Dave Ramada had three saves in the game and Vermont’s record fell to 5-3 overall.

Field hockey beats Siena 4-1

Four different Vermont players scored in the game and contributed to this convincing win over Siena on Sept. 24. This was a home game and now the team has won their last three games played at home. Senior Sarah Becque, freshman Anna Krane, sophomore Sally Snickenberger, and senior Allison Barnaby recorded the goals for the Catamounts. Vermont dramatically out-shot Siena 30-4 in the game. Vermont sophomore goaltender Stephanie Zygmunt made two saves compared to 14 for Siena’s Beth Meyers. With the win, the Catamounts see their record climb to 5-4 overall.

Men’s Lacrosse Raises Money for Cancer Research

The 2011 Catamount Classic-Lacrosse for a Cure will take place on Oct. 9. Sixteen Division 1 teams will participate in the benefit, from which proceeds will go to support cancer research at the Dana-Faber Cancer Institute in Boston. The Catamount Classic will consist of eight men’s scrimmages and eight women’s scrimmages and will be played at Thayer Academy in Massachusetts. Last year the benefit raised $36,000 for cancer research and close to $100,000 has been raised in the three years the Classic has been played. Teams participating in the benefit along with UVM include Brown, Boston University and Bryant. Vermont head lacrosse coach Ryan Curtis is a co-founder of the event.