Tip-Off sets stage for upcoming season

The men’s basketball team is coming off a good year, having fallen one game short to the University of Albany in an exciting last game , and thus failing to make it to March Madness.

They hope to be on the offensive this year and beat their record of 21 wins and 12 losses last season.

UVM has six senior returning players, with Luke Apfeld, Sandro Carissimo, Clancy Rugg and Brian Voelkel returning as captains.

Voelkel, a prominent forward for the Catamounts, has already being named to America East Men’s Basketball All Conference Pre-season team.

Carissimo, being named America East All-Conference Third Team in 2012-13, will start the season off following a great year.

Vermont has the makings of a great season this year, although they are bringing some tougher teams into the mix with a game at Duke University Nov 24. Head Coach John Becker is looking forward to a competitive year.

The Cats are set to take on the Saint Joseph’s Redhawks at Patrick Gymnasium Saturday, Nov 9.

On the other hand, the women’s basketball team is looking to rebound after having a sub-par year with a record of 10-21. They were picked this year to finish fifth in the 2013-14 America East Preseason Coaches Poll.

Head Coach Lori Gear McBride is set to begin her fourth season at UVM and three first-years have been added to the roster: Kylie Butler, Jordan Eisler and Kristina White.

Luckily, three of the team’s top four scoring and rebounding leaders will be returning this year: juniors Niki Taylor, Tierra Shumpert and Annie Wheeler. The Catamounts also have two returning seniors, Sam Simononis and Tonya Conley.

Vermont will host St. Michael’s College in an exhibition game Saturday, Oct. 26 and will start the regular season at Bryant University Nov 9. They hope to have a better record away from home this year after going a dismal 1-16 on the road last season.

Both the men and women’s teams started the season with the Catamount tip-off Saturday, Oct.19 where each team split up evenly and scrimmaged in Patrick Gym.

First the women’s team took the court. Butler, Eisler and White contributed to a great preview of what McBride and her team have in store for this year.

Next the men’s team was introduced as they scrimmaged each other. The game came down to the wire in a tight finish with the two teams ending up in a tie of 35-35.