Track and field finishes fourth in AE Championships

On Saturday, Feb. 18, when races concluded at the America East track and field championships, UVM’s women’s track and field team stood in fourth place with 93 points. The Vermont men’s team came in eighth with 30 points.  Albany defended their men’s indoor title as BU defeated Albany to take the women’s title.  

The Catamount 4×800-meter relay team of senior Marissa Guerette, junior Julie McGilpin, senior Jennifer Magoon and sophomore Yolanda Ngarambe set a new school and meet record, finishing in 8:58.53.  

Ngarambe and McGilpin also had all-conference performances in the 800-meter run as they swept the top two spots with times of 2:08.36 and 2:10.35, respectively. Senior Alexa Mazur ran the 1,000-meter in 2:55.05, earning her third and all-conference distinction.  

“We had a great meet; it was the best we’ve competed at an America East championship in my nine years here at Vermont,” said head coach Matt Belfield. “I am very proud of our team and our coaches and support staff — the energy we brought this weekend was impressive.”

Senior Morgan Powers had an impressive day — she finished second in the 3000-meter in a personal best of 9:33.63 and fifth in the mile and set a new Vermont record of 4:49.05.  

Other all-conference honorees were senior Michele Langone, who finished third in the 500-meter run in a time of 1:14.82, junior Mary Krug who finished third in the pole vault with a 3.45-meter jump, and sophomore Brittany St. Clair was all-conference for her performance in the pentathlon.  

For the men, the 4×800-meter relay team of first-year Andy Stillman, first-year Briggs Deardorff, first-year Nick DeLune, and junior Ethan McBrien finished third with a time of 7:43.63.  First-year Mickey Krug also earned fifth place in the heptathlon, while placing fourth in both the high jump and long jump vents.  

Stillman also finished fifth in the 800-meter with a time of 1:53.04, and senior Connor Jennings finished sixth in the 3,000-meter run.  

A non-Vermont athlete, Rich Peters, turned in the most impressive performance of the day when he ran a sub-four minute mile in 3:59.24 to set a championship record.

All-conference athletes will return to Boston this weekend for the New England indoor championships, also hosted by Boston University.