Women’s cross country places 2nd, men’s places 5th at America East Championship

Photo Courtesy of UVM Athletics
America East Cross Country Championships hosted by The University of Maine Oct. 27.

Friday, Oct. 27 heard the firing of the starting pistol of the America East Cross Country Championships. The University of Maine hosted the event, which featured the women’s 5k and the men’s 8k.

In the women’s 5k, senior Lily Porth was the first Catamount to cross the finish line with a final time of 18:27.85. This earned her a 10th place finish in the race, as well as a spot on second team all-conference.

Junior Clare Kelly and first-year Katrina Secinaro finished second and third for the Catamounts, placing 12th and 15th with times of 18:33.73 and 18:40.54, respectively. With 77 points, the women’s squad finished second behind the Binghamton Bearcats.

The men’s 8k was dominated by the UMass Lowell River Hawks as eight of their 10 runners finished within the top 20, securing a sweeping 34-point victory. The Catamounts also put together a well-rounded effort, placing 5th overall with five finishers in the top 30.

Junior Jameson Sparks, senior Dillon Jensen and first-year Will Locke finished 20th, 21st and 23rd for UVM, with times of 25:34.94, 25:35.47, and 25:37.51, respectively.

The Catamounts hope to use this as preparation for the NCAA Northeast Regionals, which happen on Nov. 10.