Women’s hockey plays two game series against Clarkson

Jamie Kaplan
UVM women’s ice hockey takes on Clarkson Oct. 1

On Oct. 6, UVM welcomed the Clarkson University Golden Knights to Gutterson Fieldhouse for a two-game set.

UVM opened the scoring two minutes in thanks to junior forward Alaina Tanski, but the Golden Knights almost immediately answered with a goal of their own by grad student forward Brooke McQuigge. 

Two more goals by Clarkson set the score at 3-1, but UVM grad student forward Lily Humphrey put one in the net to bring it to 3-2. However, a late goal by Clarkson’s senior forward Anne Cherkowski put the game out of reach with a final score of 4-2. 

Looking to right the ship the next day, UVM scored in the first period thanks to senior forward Natálie Mlýnková for an early lead. Clarkson would respond with a goal from first-year forward Rebecca Morissette in the second period to tie 1-1. 

Sophomore forward Lara Beecher gained the lead for UVM with a goal early in the third, but junior defenseman Haley Winn evened the score at 2-2 as the buzzer sounded for overtime. 

However, the score didn’t see any more change: after two overtime periods that saw a combined three shots from both teams, the game ended in a 2-2 tie. 

Women’s ice hockey begins the year with a 0-1-1 record, and will look to capture their first win against the St. Lawrence University Saints on Oct. 13.