Women’s soccer ties conference matchup against UNH Wildcats

Photo Courtesy of Alex Weiss
UVM Women’s Soccer ties 1-1 against University of New Hampshire on Virtue Field Oct. 12

Virtue Field saw a tightly contested match between the two America East opponents on Thursday Oct. 12, with each squad looking to improve their record in conference play.

The first half was tightly contested, with each team trading possession often and finding opportunities whenever possible. While UVM outshot UNH 6-2 in the first half, there was only one shot on goal by either team in the opening 45 minutes.

Catamount junior midfielder Bailey Ayer opened the scoring early in the second half off a free kick set up due to a UNH handball. UVM continued to keep the offensive pressure on the Wildcats, outshooting them 13-7 in the second half.

Multiple penalties by the Catamounts and a great effort by UNH’s goalkeeper Sally Rainey kept the Wildcats in the match. UNH tied the score in the waning minutes with a goal by midfielder Abbi Maier.

Several changes of possession happened in the chaotic final moments of the match, but the score would remain at 1-1 until the final buzzer. UVM is now 2-2-1 in conference play, good for a three-way tie for 5th place with NJIT and UMass Lowell.

The Catamounts have the opportunity to improve their conference record this week, as they face two conference opponents in the Binghamton Bearcats and the New Jersey Institute of Technology Highlanders.