The Matrix: Revolutions Opens

This week an epic story came to an end (yeah right; that’s what they said about Star Wars). The Matrix: Revolutions opened in theaters around the world this past Wednesday simultaneously. East coasters enjoyed the film at 9:00 in the morning, while those on the Pacific coast received a screening at 6:00 a.m. Now, in case you were wondering, I did not get up for the 9 AM showing; I saw it at 11:35 a.m.

The Matrix: Revolutions begins where Reloaded (the second movie in the trilogy) leaves off. Therefore, I give this warning: DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE MATRIX AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN RELOADED!

The concept of the matrix is introduced in the first film. Major questions of philosophy, science, and religion are introduced throughout all three films. Are human beings controlled by purpose, fate, and destiny? This question is examined through a theme of free-will and choice. All three movies are layered; this is what makes the films ingenious. No matter how intensely you scrutinize the imagery, characters, setting, and philosophy of the movies, there is always a new interpretation to discover.

It seems, however, that Matrix creators the Wachowski Brothers dumbed down this last installment. Some aspects of the film do require a considerable amount of thought, but the symbolism is so blatant it took most of the fun out of seeing the conclusion. Though the special effects are great, the acting is mediocre. At this point in the trilogy the motivation is purely plot. There is a lack of “revolutionary” ideas; rather, the film develops some of The Matrix’s initial themes.

So what’s amazing about the third Matrix? The defense of Zion, a trip to the AI city, Agent Smith outside the matrix, and a final confrontation between Neo and Smith. What’s not so great? The title Revolutions implies a concentric plot and the ending can be disappointing for those who expected complete destruction of the enemy. The conclusion is another beginning in itself. A sigh of finality is certainly lacking from Revolutions. In comparison, the third matrix is ten times better than XXX or any other action-packed, Hollywood spawn. It just falls short of its progenitor.