Women’s soccer loses conference matchup against Bryant

Elizabeth Smith
University of Vermont women’s soccer loses to Bryant University 1-0 on Virtue Field Sept. 28

UVM women’s soccer battled the Bryant Bulldogs under the lights of Virtue Field Thursday night, looking to capture their first win of conference play. 

The Bulldogs were also looking for their first conference win of the year after losing 2-0 against the University of New Hampshire Wildcats last weekend. 

The first half saw a strong offensive attack from UVM as they outshot Bryant 9-4, but senior goalkeeper Kathryn McNeil recorded three saves alongside great play by Bryant’s defense to keep the score tied. 

The second half saw Bryant’s offense come alive. In the first 10 minutes of play, the Bulldogs tallied four shots, two corner kicks and a goal, scored by junior forward Catherine Bean, that set the score at 1-0. 

The rest of the match saw multiple changes of possession at midfield. UVM again outshot Bryant in the second half 11-6, and 20-10 overall, but couldn’t find the back of the net. The Catamounts made one last push to tie the score late in the half, but the score remained 1-0 until the final buzzer.