SGA supports bystander intervention training

The SGA has ruled in favor of supporting a bill that provides bystander intervention training for employees of nightlife establishments in the Burlington area.  

The Bystander Intervention Training for Establishments Serving Alcohol in Burlington was supported by SGA April 11. The initiative was proposed by city councilor Adam Roof .

If the bill is passed, bartenders and other nightlife staff will be trained in bystander intervention by HOPE Works employees and other experienced nightlife employees, according to the bill passed by the SGA.

HOPE Works is a Vermont organization dedicated to ending all forms of sexual violence, according to its website.

Roof said he originally reached out to SGA because he felt it was important for students to be a part of the initiative, as sexual assault is especially prevalent among ages 18 to 24. He has been pleased with the response so far, he said.

“I’m floored by the level of support of the community,” Roof said. “It’s very impactful to show people how supportive the student body is.”

The SGA started a petition in support of the program is currently circulating UVM, SGA Sen. Reginah Mako said.

The petition currently has over 200 signatures, and SGA hopes to obtain at least 500, according to Roof . Roof feels the petition would be very helpful in convincing the city council to pass the initiative, he said.

“We hope that the support from UVM students emphasizes the importance of the initiative to City Hall,” Mako said.

Roof will be presenting at a city council meeting to request funding for the 18-month pilot program April 17.