5 UVM athletes to look out for this season

Locria Courtright, Assistant Sports Editor

As the fall sports season begins, UVM sports teams welcome new players to bolster their lineups. Here’s a look at five new student-athletes to watch out for in the 2017-18 season.

Photo courtesy UVM athletics.

Geo Alves

Junior Geo Alves transferred from Division III Dean College. He started his UVM soccer  career strong, scoring two goals in the season-opening 4-1 win at Hartwick College and the tying goal in a 2-1 overtime loss to San Diego State University.

For his efforts, the São Filipe, Cabo Verde native was named America East Player of the Week for week one.

The Catamounts were faced with the task of replacing forwards Brian Wright and Bernard Yeboah ‘17. Alves stepped up and began contributing right away.

Photo courtesy of the NHL.

Bryce Misley

In his final year of hockey with the Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Oakville Blades, first-year Bryce Misley put up 62 points in 46 games.

Misley followed up with 14 points in 16 playoff games while nursing a foot injury.

He was drafted in the summer by the Minnesota Wild in the NHL Entry Draft.

With his playmaking skills and careful stickhandling, he will replace some of the offense UVM lost to graduation.

Photo courtesy of Twitter.

Ra Kpedi

Standing at 6 feet 9 inches, first-year Ra Kpedi is the biggest player on the men’s basketball team.

With a composite three-star rating, he is UVM’s highest-rated recruit, according to VerbalCommits.com.

An experienced player who can play the power forward or center positions, Kpedi’s biggest strength is his rebounding, averaging 11 rebounds a game.

He was also named to the IndyStar’s SuperTeam Second Team.

Photo courtesy of the Daily North Shore.

Valerie Caldwell

The winner of an Illinois state championship with Loyola Academy, first-year Valerie Caldwell starred with the Ramblers for four years. She reached the state championship game each year.

Caldwell graduated as the program’s all-time leader in goals with 112 over four years. Caldwell “can turn scoring into an art form,” according to The Daily North Shore.

She also played at USA Hockey’s U18 Girls Development Camp in 2016, posting three points in four games, showing that her scoring totals in Illinois were no fluke.

The women’s hockey program has been on the rise at UVM in recent years. New players like Caldwell are a part of the team’s building success.

Photo courtesy of UVM athletics.

Dani Lozzi

A native of Horsham, England, Dani Lozzi joins UVM after starring in her native country with the Sevenoak Suns.

With the Suns, she made back-to-back U18 national championship games and lost both. However, she did win a Women’s British Basketball League championship with the Suns in 2017.

Lozzi showed she can step up in big games, hauling down 18 rebounds in the 2016 final against Peckham.

UVM is in the midst of a rebuild for its women’s basketball program. Lozzi could be a solid contributor this year.