Lacrosse senior dreams of pro future

Maddie Allan, Staff Writer

Senior Ian MacKay’s collegiate lacrosse career will draw to a close this spring, but the captain isn’t done with the sport.

Following his career as a Catamount, MacKay is hoping to play professionally.

“The pro field draft is coming up in April,” MacKay said. “I definitely have that date circled in my calendar.”

MacKay is also hoping to be drafted into the professional National Lacrosse League  in September as well.

“For field your name just goes in [to the draft],” MacKay said. “When you are a senior you become automatically eligible for the draft.”

If MacKay is drafted in April, he will not be able to talk to his future team because he will still be in season for the Catamounts and gearing up for playoffs.

For indoor lacrosse, there is a combine a few days before the draft, which is televised, MacKay said.

MacKay is no stranger to playing lacrosse on a big stage. Prior to arriving at UVM, the Ontario native represented Canada on the U-19 National Team.

“[Having] the opportunity to represent [your] country, not a lot of people can say they have done that before,” MacKay said.

“Getting that call was definitely awesome and making the trip to Finland [for the World Lacrosse Championships] was really cool.”

Prior to his arrival at UVM, MacKay played at the Hill Academy in Ontario, which he credits with shaping much of his athletic and academic success.

He also spoke about the process of choosing UVM, and how the culture of the University as a whole influenced his decision to attend.

“UVM was my first [Division I] offer,” MacKay said. “And when I came and visited Burlington it reminded me a lot of home.”

Now in his senior season, MacKay has amassed a lot of experience on the field and is successful, despite redshirting last season due to injury.

“The adversity that he’s gone through as a player has really given him a lot of time to reflect on his impact on this program and how he can make the most of that while he’s still here,” head coach Chris Fiefs said.

MacKay also recently recorded his 200th career point.

This now places him third overall in UVM history for points.

He scored a career-high six goals against the University of Hartford in an 11-7 win March 31.

So far this season he has scored 27 goals and added 12 assists.

“He’s a dynamic athlete,” Fiefs said. “He’s a player who is a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams.”

Both Fiefs and teammate Graham Bocklet noted that MacKay’s vocal leadership has steadily improved since his early years on campus.

“As a teammate he holds himself to a high standard, which makes everyone else hold themselves to a high standard as well,” Bocklet said. “He’s very vocal which is needed on our team because kids like to listen.”

Looking toward the rest of the season, UVM finds itself in a great place with a record of 9-1 with its only loss coming to top ranked University at Albany.

The Catamounts are currently ranked No. 16 in the nation.

“I think really the sky’s the limit for us,” MacKay said. “I think really the only team that is stopping us is ourselves.”

Lacrosse hosts the University of Massachusetts Lowell, April 7 and travels to Stony Brook University a week later.