First-year nutrition major dies

Image courtesy of Lauren Kerzhner’s facebook page

Julianne Lesch, Staff Writer

First-year Lauren Kerzhner died March 31.

Kerzhner, a New Jersey native, was majoring in dietetics, nutrition and food sciences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, according to an April 1 email from Annie Stevens, vice provost for student affairs.   

“Lauren was involved on campus as a writer for the Watertower, an intern for the UVM Real Food Challenge and was planning to be a Resident Adviser next year,” Stevens stated in the email.

A gathering was held April 2 in the Davis Center to celebrate Kerzhner’s life.

A memorial fund was started on the fundraising website GoFundMe in honor of Kerzhner. The page was created by Kerzhner’s uncle, Nick Kremer, the site stated.

“With great sadness we announce the passing of a beautiful girl, daughter, granddaughter, sister and a friend — Lauren Kerzhner,” the GoFundMe stated.

Kerzhner’s family was overwhelmed by the support shown to the family, the site stated.

“I’m shocked by the outpour of your sentiments and donations. It’s heartbreaking to see how much love you are sending to Lauren’s family in this time of sorrow,” Kremer stated in an update to the GoFundMe.

Elizabeth Brand, Kerzhner’s mom, expressed her gratitude for everyone’s contributions in an update to the fundraiser.

“There is no real way to describe how much we appreciate the kind words, contributions  and overall love and care that we have been receiving from our friends, family and even those who we have never met before,” Brand stated in an update to the GoFundMe.

The GoFundMe has been shared over 853 times on Facebook and currently no longer accepting donations.

Students and faculty in need of professional counseling should contact UVM’s Counseling and Psychiatry Services at (802) 656-3340 (for students) or Invest EAP at (802) 864-EAPØ (3270) or toll free at 1-866-660-9533 (for employee assistance).