BREAKING: UVM’s mask mandate still in place, despite relaxed government guidelines

Kate Vanni

Masked students stand in lines outside the COVID-19 testing center.

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 8:08 p.m. May 14.

The mask mandate will remain in place on UVM’s campus until further notice, despite newly relaxed guidelines from the CDC and from the Vermont state government. 

UVM is reviewing recent CDC recommendations and will seek guidance from the Vermont Department of Health to assess the possibility of updating its masking policy, according to a May 14 email from Gary Derr, VP for operations and public safety.  

This is especially important to remember during move out in the residence halls and at commencement,” he stated. 

Additionally, Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger announced in a May 14 press release that the City is taking parallel action to make Burlington’s requirements consistent with new federal and state guidelines. 

“Beginning today we will not enforce the City’s Emergency Order requiring face coverings for fully vaccinated people, and I have called a Special Meeting of the City Council for Monday, May 17 at 5:30 p.m. in order to rescind the requirement for vaccinated individuals,” he stated. 

May 13 guidelines from the CDC’s website state that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks or physically distance themselves in any setting, except in locations where other entities still maintain masking requirements. 

As of May 14, fully vaccinated Vermonters are no longer required to mask or distance themselves in outdoor or indoor settings, beginning two weeks after their final dose of the vaccine, according to a May 14 VTDigger article

Masking is still required in Vermont for those who are unvaccinated, according to the article. Masks are still required in Vermont for everyone when at healthcare facilities, homeless shelters, correctional centers and on public transportation. 

This is especially encouraging as we are seeing the remarkable impact of the vaccine in the fast decline of new COVID-19 cases,” Derr stated in his email.