Campus Climate Survey data goes live online

A+screenshot+of+a+beta+version+of+the+online+interface+to+access+the+results+of+the+Campus+Climate+Survey.+

Courtesy UVM

A screenshot of a beta version of the online interface to access the results of the Campus Climate Survey.

Ella Ruehsen, Staff Writer

In the wake of student demands for increased access to Campus Climate Survey data, UVM has released an online version of the data available to the UVM community.

Wanda Heading-Grant, vice president of human resources and multicultural affairs, emailed the student body Sept. 23 outlining the release of an interactive dashboard detailing the survey results to be accessible via Catamount Data by Sept. 27.

Catamount Data is UVM’s online platform for students to view official statistical data and analyses related to the university, curated by the university’s Office of Institutional Research.

“UVM community members can access the data via their UVM NetID beginning on Friday, September 27, 2019,” stated Heading-Grant in the email she sent on Sept. 23.

The Campus Climate Survey was run in 2011 and again in early 2019. Its purpose was to examine how students, faculty and staff perceived the social environment of UVM’s campus.
It especially sought to find out how supportive the environment was to individuals in marginalized communities.

On September 23, activist groups NoNames for Justice and Queer Student Action met with President Suresh Garimela and requested that more data on the survey be released. Heading-Grant’s email entered student inboxes shortly after the meeting.

SGA was initially planning to vote on a resolution requesting a data release of this nature at their meeting Sept. 24.

The resolution was tabled when the email from Heading-Grant went out the day prior, announcing the data release that SGA was preparing to request.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.