Field hockey ends with defeat

Oliver Pomazi

First-year midfielder Claudia Cotter runs downfield against UMass-Lowell Oct. 13. The Catamounts are 5-12 this season.

Aryanna Ramsaran, Staff Writer

The women’s field hockey team played their final home game of the season Friday afternoon on Moulton-Winder Field.

The Catamounts lost 1-0 against the University of Maine. The loss brings their new record to 5-11 with one game left before the start of the America East Tournament.

This game was their Senior Day game and before the start of the game the four seniors, Lena Benwood, Tess O’Brien, Taylor Gaines and Kyra Lee were all honored on the field with their families.

Along with their families, Director of Athletics Jeff Schulman and Associate Athletic Director Cathy Rahill were present in the pregame ceremony.

“We have our traditions for the seniors, but the preparation for the game is always the same [as every other game],” head coach Kate Pfeifer said.

The game was tied until the 59th minute. Sophomore forward Brittany Smith scored her third goal of the season and the winning goal for Maine.

“I think we really battled,” Pfeifer said. “I don’t think we allowed Maine much and they’re a great attacking team.”

Senior goalie Lena Benwood made seven saves in the game which brought her career total to 459, according to UVM athletics.

“I’m really proud with how they shut them down,” Pfeifer said. “They didn’t allow for too many opportunities.”

With time running out and the need to score, the Catamounts pulled Benwood for the advantage of an extra attacker.

“We need more attack going for ourselves. We didn’t get into our attacking circle at all [in the first half],” Pfeifer said.

However, with just under three minutes left, a green card was issued to Vermont and the player advantage was taken away.

“We talked about possession leading up to this game and that was much improved but we need to take more risks in the attacking zone,” Pfeifer said.

Vermont had the chance to tie the game on a penalty corner, but junior fullback Lauren Tucker’s shot was saved by Maine’s goalie Emma Cochran.

“I think we really need to pick our moments to attack and put some shots and some dangerous entries into the circle earlier in the match,” Pfeifer said.

The next field hockey game is Oct. 29 at University of Massachusetts Lowell. Following this game, the Catamounts will begin the America East Tournament Nov. 2.